Design story

Please Empower this project:
[Total: 116 Average: 4.9]

Empathies - STEAM Challange

We began our project with research on global goals and listed areas that were deemed in need of major development/change in the short – long term future of the world by the united nations. While given the size of our team we cannot instigate any major change on a global scale, we can do our part to improve an area of our choice, within our means.
Looking upon the steam innovation challenges we could see many areas doing their part for the greater good, IBM making strives in equality and progressive thinking, Shireland collegiate pushing up the standards for providing education, and Severn Trent aiding sustainability and healthy living.
This helped us to decide on creating a product to help people stay safe when they’re required to be in an environment where the risk of the virus is high and uneasiness is apparent

Define - Use Case

Our project begins with us – the creators, we sprout the ideas for innovation with the project which then stems to the design and marketing side to actuate their ideas into a real-life product. The factory would be next in the line, getting the designs made to send the product to the customer.
In terms of the consumer, the project would start with the device on the pockets of employees transmitting data of breaches throughout the day, this data would transfer to a hosted database to calculate fields such as at-risk employees and encounters. Such data is then presented on the website in a more user-friendly way. Therefore allowing privileged users to make executive decisions on whether employees or safe or if precautions are necessary

Ideate - Solutions

When we were in the process of developing our ideas into reality, many issues cropped up along the way. All of which need solutions to be founded and acted on before the launch of the product and all are equally vital in testing said project.
Some problems we came across were similar in nature, such as Wi-Fi connection issues in the fact that our accommodation WI-FI’s are strict and do not allow communication between Pi devices. Given that our device is reliant on online hosting and data transfer, this prompted a significant amount of brainstorming between us.
Other times small kinks would occur in niche areas of the project where we could easily come together to think of an alternative that would not jeopardise the integrity of the project or the progress along with our defined schedule.

Prototype - Application

Our first prototype consisted of us hooking all our external devices such as an LED, and PIEZO to the raspberry pi via a breadboard and creating code to test that they worked with the pins they were in and in the conditions we set
Casing
Upon connection and testing of the piezo, we found struggles in creating the ideal sound to transmit to the user. Initially, we could only manage the speaker to make a slight buzz, but upon troubleshooting, we managed to get a range of pitches working. The crux of the problem was getting one that would warn the user, but not be a distraction from work or painful to the ears as this would discourage proper use.
Onwards from that was the development of Bluetooth connection. In an area as dense and large as out BCU campus, many signals were prevalent and crossing constantly so getting the correct one and managing it accurately was our first task of the next phase. once Bluetooth connectivity was established, coding was then set to start.
The Coding stage required a lot of tinkering and installation on a raspberry pi whose operating system was quite foreign to much of the team involved. Understanding and creating were done side by side, allowing us to develop our knowledge as we went along.
To finish our last prototype all we had to do was connect all the code we had created separately; Python, SQL, PHP, Html, CSS, and connect them all together over wi-fi to allow the raspberry pis to work independently of each other and pc connections

Starting Prototypes

first wiring
operatingcrop

Final Prototype

IMG_20210609_172926
IMG_20210609_173005

Test - Results

Testing it works required two devices running the script simultaneously to detect both in range of each other, we tested that they detected each other at the correct distance and through the case or difficult obstacles.
We concluded that it set off the correct signals at the correct time with few anomalies.
With the testing successful, we were able to conclude the creation of our product and are ready to present it to those who wish to see it in person at the Innovation Fest.